Sunday, January 23, 2011

FREEDOM!
Finally have time to myself. The last month has been HECTIC. Christmas involved much driving and sewing of presents. New year was taken up by sewing, I had to make over 25 costumes for the Wivenhoe Panto. This left very little time for magi which made me come to a realisation. I need to move it up my list of priorities. I REALLY want to make a living through performing, and this I have to treat magi with the same level of importance as sewing. The card handling practise has retuned (in the last 3 weeks I haven't had time to watch television apart from oddly enough the weekly magic show on BBC and Penn and Tellers special one off show). I am getting even more happy with my basic card control and handling. I personally haven't been fussed with fancy flourishes but have decided i really should learn a few. Not so much to perform with but just to really get my hands comfortable with the cards and to give me a little more grace. All this time i HAVE been performing a few tricks. The WEE WEE Mentalist may not be all that I love in card magic HOWEVER people love it, and I do mean love it. This is one of the times when I need to think long and hard, should I perform tricks for me, or for them. I think at this early stage I need to respond to what people like and work on tricks that people enjoy provided I don't actually hate them. I find we wee mentalist cute and fun, just not serous (as Derren Brown would say 'Rich resonant magic') . I'll look at more visual transformations in the coming weeks and see if I can adapt the presentation to work with my preferred style. If I can't I wont discard them, i'll just create a few different magical acts to my repertoire, leaving me to work on effects that move me personally and to learn to move others in the same way, BUT still perform some effects beloved by audiences that pay the bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment