Saturday, August 13, 2011

that went not so well

I had a rather shortish notice gig again. 2 weeks notice. I used the time to run through my regular routines and learnt a new effect "Cheek to Cheek" . I had a few misgivings when I realised the event (A stand up comedy night) did not seem to be attracting many pre bookings. When we arrived I got kitted out and stocked up paisley magic waistcoat with decks....

Vanilla deck set up for "Do as I Do", "direct mind reading" and "Out of this world"

Invisible deck (to use with the above for an overall rapport, spiritual feel)

Cartomancy (with scratch cards and leaflet)

Vanilla deck with a "Wee Wee Mentalist" ready to go

Darkside -Serial Killer set up.

I felt like I was over burdened whilst also ill prepared. Maybe I was just hiding behind my props. I performed a few effects for the receptionist and the bar staff whilst waiting for punters to arrive, thee were well received. Interestingly enough, the bar staff reception to WeeWee Mentalist was OK, but not the usual blown away response I tend to get. Possibly my anxiety was colouring my performance, or maybe they just didn't like that sort of trick.

I continued to wait for the 'punters'. Comedians showed up with their support crew of friends and family but no actual public customers for a while. This was a problem as I'd intended to start table hopping BEFORE the show, to warm people up. Then the comedy began. There was not a single person there who was not a performer or there with a performer.

In the intermission I tried approaching the family of the acts. I performed Cartomancy to one group, this was well received but the other friends and family were nipping in and out of the green room. there was literally no-one to perform to. I approached the family of one of the events organizers, had a friendly chat and performed the serial killer version of Dark Side. The whole effect was lost when the spectator failed to realise the great big blood splat on their chosen card. Was this the lighting or was it because I failed to engage the spectator, to make them take an interest in the magic, or was h just a little Dim. We shall never know BUT it is something I'm going to take on board and take more care of lighting and take more care to ensure the spectator is on the ball.

Reading this it sounds like a bad disheartening night. but it wasn't really,. The comedy was good and it gave me a lot to think about

I Need to slim down what I carry

I need more confidence in my Vanilla work

I need to be aware of possible lighting issues

I need to make sure the participant is ENGAGED

I need to rehears more so that my 'patter' is fluid, BUT also that I have the confidence to change it on the fly without leaving out pertinent information for the effect.



No comments:

Post a Comment