Monday, October 15, 2012

three weeks, but three gigs

Quite a while since the last update, but much has occurred. I'm going to put this up as three or maybe even 4 blogs over coming days. Why? 3 gigs, a few insights, much happening. Why the delay? I spent 10 days being quite ill. During this time I was focusing on my paid work for Fabric8 . And since then I have been playing catch up on the Fabric8 work.

So GIGS. IN the last post I spoke of a gig at a wedding where I was engaged to entertain predominately the children. I have a saying, actually i's more like a pseudo religious Gregorian chant. "gig's begit  Gigs". I impressed the Magiian there for the grown ups quite a bit it seems, he hired me to enterain the kids at his son's party. This wa VERY short notice, one week. But I had the kit and I was good to go so I decided to just go for it.
I rocked up a little too early, thanks to a pessimistic sat nav. This wasn't awkward as he was a nice guy, though it may have diminished the impact of my arrival  on his kids. For birthday parties at home I'll endeavour to show up a little early but not TOO early. I was all set to use my new Balloon skills as well as all my new shiny kid's props. All worked well, Diminishing milk should be singled out for special praise. That's one hard working prop. I bore in mind all that Silly Billy says in his book on performing for kids and asked the kids questions every moment I could, interacting with them and empowering them. At the end of the show the kids were VERY happy as were the grown ups.  So things I learnt.

1- SORT OUT SAT NAV

2- Arive a little early but there is a thing as TOO early

3- I need to put something on the floor in case of spills (since found some waterproof table cloth with a star pattern

4- The table is unstable, it needs to be less wobbly, I also need a second table for storage.

From this gig iI got ANOTHER gig. Gigs beget gigs. HOWEVER Kids parties beget kids parties. I like performing kids magic, it's fun and rewarding but not at the expense of grown up parties that pay enough for me to work less, and allow me to explore other magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment