Sunday, December 7, 2014

Passport to Narnia

This weekend saw yet another fantastic Tea and Sympathy night in Colchester.  As with all their nights this one was given a strong theme, and much like Alice in wonderland it was a theme I really wanted to do for a while, Narnia! I felt like I didn't prep  enough  for Alice in regards to magic, costuming and over all research so this time I started early. I read "The magicians nephew" and "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (a book I tend to read this time of year anyway). These helped give me a feel and mood for the night but not any ideas on effects to use. I had however visited Davenport and got "Snow Storm in China" an effect that generates a snow storm of paper and my classic snowball from TT effect. To be honest the other new thing I had  was a simple table I made form a drum stand. This made a huge difference as you will see.

The format for this night was different from any other. Instead of me being on my own in a room or going up to groups I had my new high table in a room with other entertainments such as storytelling, pole swinging and a cybernetic enharnsed apple tree. Each guest was given a  "passport to Narnia" which had to be stamped at each table. The "market" would be open for 1 hour only, thus I only really had to work for one hour instead of my normal 4 or so. Also it meant I would have an intense constant stream of people, s I would only have to do one  or two effects each.

Before the market opened I went outside of the boat and performed the 2 snow based effects where they would cayuse less mess. People liked them but I felt my snowball for TT wasn't as slick as normal. I really think it will be worth spending a while working out the right ratio of water and snow effect, That said the Snow storm in China wowed one of the ladies who supports  the event :)


I went with the classics and added the new effect "wilder" from "impromptu card magic" This effect shows 4 jokers turning into a selected card before turning into the "mates" of a different chosen card. Because I had my new table I had a surface to use "Imposible" on as well as just making the other effects run slicker. I was shocked at how strong a reaction I got from "card in hand" and "direct mind reading" I miss performing these effects.
I also had a new waistcoat for the evening. The combination of new waistcoat and new effect meant I didn't feel like I was coasting the event and actually made me feel more alive and vibrant and fresh for the evening. So I  guess the motto is the more yopu put in, the more you get out :)


No comments:

Post a Comment