Sunday, June 6, 2010

practising when you don't feel like it.

I've never liked practising at something if I don't feel up to it. IN my days of ju-jitsu though I l;earnt going when I was achy was often very rewarding. Sometimes it helped loosen up muscles and nerves, other times I just felt better knowing I could pick someone up and throw them across a room even when I was limping bad and close to tears. Why drag up the past, because of Friday....

I'd gone into he shop to help out as we are short staffed at the moment. Afterwards I'd arranged to meet up with a good mate who's a far better magician than myself. I sat there on his floor and performed a few tricks and we both knew my double lift was bloody awful. I'd managed it perfectly when performing on Monday, and at practise every single day this week. At first I thought it was just nerves but I slowly realised just how physically wrecked I was feeling. My hands had been somewhat abused with all the lifting and I was generally feeling rubbish. When I had gotten home I had a bath, took my pain meds sat down and controlled a card through 45 minutes of constant shuffling and followed that up with half an hour of perfect double lifts. So there is a temptation to only practise when I feel well, do I don't get disheartened. However, provided I accept that I will suck royally when in pain I can continue to practise and hopefully learn to maintain fine finger control no matter what state I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment