Saturday, July 24, 2010

International Magic

My practice has been a little disrupted this week after a slight cardiac incident. I thought having more time on my hands whilst recovering would mean more practise, however it seemed that sitting up with the cards was not actually rest. I did get an awful lot of magic reading down though. There is no getting around the fact I have quite by accident become a 'card guy'. I don't think this is necessary that bad, however as I hope it means I'll pick up other slights and moves easily (I got the paddle move in a few seconds). I will continue going through the card magic books I have as card magic is relatively cheap and easy to practise. My 'Ambitious Card' is becoming my sum total of all my card magic, every time I learn a new slight I try to find a way of working it in, and therefore practising the ambitious card becomes a way of practising all my slights as well as learning a set routine with many moves, or learning to freestyle and think quickly. I am thinking of learning 'Cups and balls' as well also as a way of learning other slights and just something to practise with and improve me skill set, even if I never perform with it. I will probably pick a set up next time i'm in London, as I've seen some lovly copper sets, perfect for hitting a seam punk convention with :)

I have finally got to 'International Magic' in London. An interesting little shop and reminded me of my childhood with it's large selection of jokes and tricks. However it is mainly a magic shop and whilst the effects they had were fewer in number than 'Davenports' they did have a large selection of books. I was tempted by 'Guy Hollingworth's Drawing Room Deceptions' . The very helpful store keeper did point out that it is a very advanced book (but it does look very pretty) he therefore recommended 'Dave Cambell's Legacy, incredible close up' . He showed me a letter from an American magician who bought the book singing it's praises. One can only hope he is an honourable man who did not write the letter himself. Ultimately I bought neither book but a DVD intended for Harvey. There is a series of DVDs called 'Worlds Greatest Magic by the World's Greatest Magicians'. They have a DVD for every effect you can imagine, eg 'Ambitious Card', 'Professor's Nightmare" etc. This volume involves 'The Secrets of Story Telling decks". It's no secret that Harvey's amazing tricks use story telling as a huge element and he does a superb job. This DVD should hopefully give him even more tricks that use his greatest skill, that of holding the attention of an audience and lifting them away from where they are.

Overall 'International Magic is slightly more hassle to get to (a 10 minute walk from Chancery Lane tube station ) than 'Davenports' (which is AT Charring Cross Station) and it lacks the solemn refined feel of Davenports, BUT the staff are VERY helpful and it is still worth visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment