Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Accidental Magician

I didn't mean to do much magic today. I was at an event making bunting for the Colchester Free Festival and took my Invisible deck and a pre-stacked Vanilla deck just to try out a few tricks during tea breaks. However half way through the day I needed a break from sewing and sat on the floor propping the wall up. Suddenly I had 10 kids or so gathered around me so I pulled out the vanilla deck and started doing tricks. I was amazed how well the kids paid attention to everything as none of the tricks were really aimed at kids. They loved visual magic, snap changes, colour changes, ambitious card, card in hand and my Invisible Deck. Mind reading seemed to confuse them, at least in the 'Derren Brown-isque' way that I present it. I was amazed to discover even the youngest of the children (around 5 or so) did not believe in Magic, and I have to admit, a little disappointed. However the adults were amazed. Some of the ladies there worked in schools either as teachers or assistants and they commented that they had never seen a magician hold a crowd of kids interest so well and for so long. This adds weight to the theory that I could make a sizeable amount of cash doing grown up parties at the weekend and the odd kids show mid week. Just as importantly (and in the long run, more so) I thoroughly enjoyed having kids as an audience as I did with grown ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment