Thursday, October 21, 2010

they problems with being masterless.

I sometimes wonder if my blog title makes me sound cocky. "I don't NEED a teacher" is what some people may assume. But it's more the case that like many people entering the world of magic I simply can't find one or afford one. So much like many magicians I have to learn from books, and now from DVD's. (on that note I must say that both are good ways of learning with their advantages and disadvantages). There are many problems with not having a teacher. For one case bad habits can creep in, and maybe we don't practise as much as we should because we don't get checked on once a week. This can be worked around by having friends also learning magic and demonstrate for them weekly. But there is one problem I have yet to find a way around. Confidence. I am awaiting a book on childrens' party magic. I love working with kids, they have the same amount as energy as me so I don't have to feel like I'm dragging my feet with them. But I also think children's magic is less scary to perform. I told my partner that once I get the book I may need a few simple, cheap prop before I can perform. She just looked at me for a few moments and said "You just need a plain pack of cards". She's seen me perform, for cash no less, with a simple plain deck of cards. For some reason I have just lost all my confidence for performing card magic and other close up magic for cynical grown ups. All this even though I got good reviews and received payment for doing it months a go and I have practised a lot since, and learnt more techniques both in tricks and handling people.
SO here's the plan. it's Christmas soon, there will be parties. It's time to work my socks off for a few weeks and get some gigs.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that not having a mentor forms bad habits. However I believe that not having one makes you more creative and original in what you do. When it comes to performing for cynical grown ups what I do is that I try not to challenge them, rather I relate the magic with things that they could easily associate with. So in effect for adult I usually do tricks with gambling as a premise. Also you could try tricks with money. Nice blog you got here and I hope we could exchange more ideas.

    ReplyDelete