Tuesday, October 19, 2010

been a while again

It's been a while again since my last update. Unlike other times this is also means I haven't been practising as much as I should have. This doesn't mean I've not been working on the craft however. The reason behind the lack of practise does sound like a rather lame excuse. My gf has asked me not to work with cards whilst we were watching television. That was my main double lift and false shuffle time! We've talked more and the ban has been lifted.
To prepare to become a party magician I've taken the following steps. I've been learning to juggle to begin with,. I'll never perform juggling in the act I think, at least not for a very long time anyway. HOWEVER juggling has improved my hand eye co-ordination as well as my ability to control my hands in separate tasks at the same time. I may well try to incorporate a little contact juggling however. I've also dabbled in Balloon Modelling. I tried a few years ago with no success but now -with a very cheap kit no less- I picked it up in a few minutes. I think this adds weight to my theory that when you practise magic you develop a 'knack' for picking up skills that use digital dexterity.

Following the Paul Daniels course I've looked into the actual performing part or magic. I've started the ball rolling with my CRB check and I've found an easy and cheap way to sort out insurance etc. (according to a friend who performs balloon modelling at childrens' parties says he's never really been asked for it)

One side note, after seeing some flourish displays from young magic students my confidence took a huge knock. BUT then I realised they didn't' know many actual tricks, and the tricks they knew were quite transparent. Confidence come with elegance and ease of handling, and vice versa. Both have their seed in practice practice practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment