Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hectic but happy

Been a while snce I blogged but trust me, much has been happening in my magic. Too begin with I got older (though I don't act it). To celebrate another complete orbit of Sol I was given some rather niifty gifts. A BEAUTIFUL deck of picture playing cards, The Master Push Off DVD,By Andi Gladwin Cartomancy By Peter Nardi and The Dark side Deck by Lucas.

The Master Push Off is an instructional DVD for performing a for of double lift. Very worth while I'll go more in depth about this in the future. The dark side deck is hard to talk about without spoiling the effect. I'll post a video about that next week as well. However Cartomancy is one to talk about. An interesting effect mixing a measure of control with a deck and little scratch cards which reveal a certain card. I've performed the effect for many friends, muggles, magicians and inbetweeners. There was a certain discord about how best to reveal the cards at the end f the effect (the scratch card revels a playing card that matches the card selected). I have yet to make up my mind fully whether it is better for people to turn a card over and then scratch off a scratch card or if the scratching should come first and then the card revealed. However there was concensses that my story telling behind the trick needed a LOT of work. This is the power of honest friends. I've reworked the presentation and hopefully Will be able o report back on the best way I presented the trick after my next live gig this Thursday.

On the subject of my gig. I was very worried that I had not enough material (which is rubbish as I haven't forgotten any effects) and I've been perfroming some magic each Saturday at the shop so I am in practise. But I wanted to become a little slicker, a little smoother. Trust me, if you're struggling with achieving a level you're happy with after a year dig out your initial learning materials and re read or re-watch., There's nothing like going back to the beginning again to polish off any rough edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment