Friday, March 25, 2011

Research and fun.

I haven't had much chance to rehears this week, although I have practised a LOT. (practice being the act of working through moves or even a whole trick/effect, rehearsal being the running through of a whole mini act including patter). I picked cup a book from Amazon for a friend and am promptly reading it before handing it over (with their blessing I may add). The book by Devant and Maskelyne Our Magic . The copy I have in my care is a 1946 reprint of this rather interesting book first published in 1911. I've been reading some more contemporary magical theory/philosophy books recently and it's amazing how little has changed as to what is seen as good magic. It all seems to boil down the old saying, it's not what you do it's the way that you do it.
To further my research I've treated myself to seeing two great magicians live in London.
Paul Daniels and Chris Cox have two different styles of magic but both had something in common. They both work very hard at their magic. It will be good seeing some professionals in person even if they aren't performing close up work. More research and fun will take the guise of hanging out in Covent Garden. For those who are unaware of this home to the street performing arts It's a market selling over priced goods to tourists and very overpriced soft drinks where street performers juggle, dance, play instruments and perform magic. It can be a very civilised way of spending an afternoon, the only problem is some performers get very aggressive when asking for tips (one insisting that anyone not intending of giving him at least £5.00 was morally obliged to leave before the grand finale. I'll be taking about £15 to feed the performers, hopping they'll settle for £2.00 each. One this is certain, event hough I'll be very polite and play along with any part of their act and will certainly not reveal any method or state that I can do any of their act better I will still be comparing myself to them, just to see how far along I've come. I'll just have the good taste not to mention it there then come home and blog it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment