Thursday, March 22, 2012

Full Steam(punk) Ahead!

In the last blog I mentioned  how quickly things are progressing. Well it's not slowing down!
Too begin with

I've been nominated for the magic Circle (as have Darren though through different means)

Darren Harvey and myself have seen Paul Daniels Live. This was VERY exciting indeed. I saw Paul Daniels last year and was blown away with how skill full he was. Since then  He's had a very bad accident involving his hand but you wouldn't  know it at all!.  We enjoyed all of his effects (and The lovely Debbie McGee also performed some very lovely silent acts too) . The chop cup was fantastic as ever but Paul also demonstrated a new torn and restored newspaper that was flawless. A levitation left us all VERY confused as did the classic 2 chair's routine! We got a chance to meet Paul and Debbie afterwards and they were both most charming, a good night was had by all.

Darren and I returned to the Mid Essex Magic Society again this week. We intended to talk to them about joining (we needed to pass an audition of three effects). However they decided to spring the audition on us that night!, I was terrified. As I've said before I've come to rely on Wee Wee Mentalist and could not bring him as I'd lost my black Sharpie which I use to make refills! I can't say how Darren did or what he did (but I heard applause and good reviews afterwards) I set up my deck for "Do as I do" and "Out of this world" . I also had Cartomancy on me as well.  When I walked in and faced my three judges I started to feel like these may not be enough. I opened with Direct Mind reading and followed with  Cartomancy. Two  of the three judges seemed happy but one remained silent,. I decided to use my Ambitious Card routine. After my performance I spoke briefly about where I thought I was in my magical development. They asked about how many performances I've done in the past and seemed happy yo think of me as a seasoned pro. this felt nice. Darren and I both were admited. on feed back the two happy judges said they loved my Ambitious Card. The third judge complimented me on my people handing skills. I asked for where I needed to improve He said simpyl that my confidence in my slights wasn't very high.

Today I spoke to Darren about this. The judge did not say my slights were bad, just my confidence in them was low. So I got Darren to BURN me whilst performing ambitious card right under hi nose. he said every slight worked well apart from the LE Pauls Bluff Pass. this always needs some mis direction so I felt very good about it. After a very good session with Darren we went along to the Colchester Art Center. there Darren managed to score us a proper Stage Magic Gig.  Darren is a seasoned performer and has a good relationship with the venue, without him this simply would not have happened.

So since last blog.
1) nominated for Magic Circle
2)joined Mid Essex Magical Society
3) improved confidence in Ambitious Card
4) got a full on stage gig, just us  lot doing magic
5) getting paperwork sorted to join Equity

overall things are progressing well. I need to improve my confidence in impromptu magic and re-work my routines. I have the books and  dvd's for this, so practise practise and practise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment