Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ideas can come from anywhere

I decided some time ago to stop buying kids magic sets/books/tricks. Initially I thought they may be a cheap way of learning some basics, however they were always substandard quality and as it turns out no more cheaper than buying a professional version. I have also started to realise that some "beginner" level books have a LOT of things I already know in. However it was a Beginner book, Mark Wilson's complete course in magic, that made me realize the importance of flourishes (in that they improve your over all level of slickness).
It was during a moment of possible arrogance of over sight that I paid no real attention to Michael Ammer's "Easy to perform card Miracles".  I didn't want to learn EASY things, I wanted to learn some of the things  that dazzled me at the magic club. Darren  did show me some things from it though, and so I thought I'd give it a go. If nothing else I figured it would be good  to cover the basics again. This set is amazing.  It doesn't just teach you effects with the slights required but also puts whole routines together., The teaching style is fantastic, for me personally it's perfect.  Already it has shown me an improvement to Big Deal. IN my version of the effect dealing from the bottom is explained and demonstrated slowly using four kings. Then I ask the participants to try and catch me out, they fail, and I reveal 4 ACES. cute yes, However it does mean everyone sees ONE ACE in their hand during the first round of dealing . Someone has commented on this (my boss who is a poker player). By replacing the aces with a royal flush the method becomes less obvious!. WHY didn't I think of that? This  shall be a valuable source of wisdom I think.
Other slights are tought , ones I've not heard of. I suspect they are little used in the wider magical arsenal, however may prove useful when devising my own effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment