Friday, August 17, 2012

free kids gig

As mentioned last week I was invited to perform at a mini 'village fete'. A retro event with home made lemonade. I figured that seeing as this was in the school holiday I#'d be doing kids magic for a wide age range and the odd grown up. I guessed the audience rather well. I left prepping up a little close to the day (as I always do) but managed to pack everything I needed. I sat down and worked through "Once Upon a Time" for the first time in a while and was delighted to find I remembered the whole sequence straight off the bat. I asked Darren to show up and video record some of my work. I  also asked a Headmaster of a local school to show up and offer some critiques of my working with kids.

After getting my bits together at the event I relaised it was too windy for once upon a time. Over all Iperfmoed...
THe Silk shrinking,vanish, teleport to shoe., THe  younger kids loved thisbut the older kids were very keen to  to show they know how it was done. One kid was very vocal  with a copleatly wrong explination. I kept controll and no-ones fun was spoilt at least. MAybe an imporved handling or simply I should not perfrom this when the 'big brothers and sisters'# are around.

THe silk tube. Went down very well, lots of interaction with the kids

The Magic colouring book. If i could  have sold that to one kid's mom I'd have gotten a fortune I think. All the kids of all ages liked it, but one toddler was obsessed by it. I got about 10 minutes of material out of it!

My  Headmaster friend said  he liked how I never lost my temper, kept my energy levels up and if the older kids looked like they may spoil things I empowered them by explaining the trick a little (in this case the book) but then baffled them with a card trick to keep them interested in my magic and still respecting me.

All Rather good and happy stuff. We then popped into the Visual arts centre and saw some of the 'youth' (aged 15-18 at a guess) playing "magic the gathering". One asked if I was a magican. I sudenly broke into "Wee Wee Mentalist". They were blown away. I suspect because there was a camera on them they reacted even more than before. Even though they made me feel like David Blaine and Dynamo with a hint of Gandalf. A good day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment