Saturday, August 25, 2012

Kids Festivale AGAIN :)

Today I made my yearly pilgrimage to the Kids festival. This year was very different. IN past years I was a wondering magician, going up to groups to perform small sets and then doing an extended section in the "Story Tent". I had no place as such and just soaked up the atmosphere and performed where I wished. This year I was helping with the science demonstrations. I set the program, I decided what I did. I still planned on performing magic though. I envisioned throwing my tent open to a hoard  or two of kids several times during the day in-between bouts of walking and performing magic. NO SUCH LUCK. I let a few friends see a demo at 11 am, as they left some kids came in, then more then more then more! I asked someone for the time  and it was 4.30pm! It felt like an hour. I performed my "Mad Science" section non stop for five and half hours! The kids loved it, and the parents were very impressed with how well I handled question and controlled the crowd. I even managed to get through to some kids on the autistic spectrum without any difficulties. My equipment got a little scuffed, but it was worth the £10 I spent to see how well science blends with magic. I belive I'll also get some gigs out of this as well.



Inge says I seemed slightly subdued and tired when she came by at the close of the day. I was there for 20 hours later than I normally do the show. But I think I missed performing magic a little, and certainly missed going from group t group to perform. Whilst the approach can be nerve raking I think I enjoyed soaking up the high energy of the festival. Instead I was kind of shuttered away in my tent. The experiment worked better in the tent than in an open area though, so next your I may just supervise the science and run  around doing magic, OR devise experiments that work outdoors.

Overall a rewarding day though. Once Upon A time came out to play in the story tent and had it's best ever reception. The main lesson from the day is one I learnt before. I have a great knack with kids and there are a lot more kids parties than adult. Adult parties pay better, but the sheer volume of kids parties mean they are a market base I can not ignore.  Over all, fantastic tirring day.



1 comment:

  1. additional. Magic was prepared in advance BUT personal grooming as all over the place. Maybe I need to invest in a need set of gentleman's' brushes and combs and keep them somewhere safe (OR just treat personal grooming the same way I treat costuming and keep them in their correct place and double check on them the night before a gig.

    ReplyDelete