Sunday, January 6, 2013

An interesting night

Just got back from a friends wedding.I was really too trashed to go after a day working in the shop, but I made the wedding dress and needed to see how it was received. (it was universally loved, and I'm actually happy with it). I didn't intend to take much magic as I new I was a lil shaky, so took a vanilla deck and Twilight Angels/ Wee Wee Mentalist.  I sat at a table with a guest I knew reasonably well and tried my 15 card I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E . He struggled with the instructions over the music. (so not one to use when a live band is on) but was impressed. I performed Twilight Angels and got my normal stunned response for a few moments. that felt good.

  On the way out of the venue (I was leaving early due to the aforementioned shakiness) I got asked to do a quick trick for a young lady. As I said I deliberately didn't have much on me, but did a quick "Wee Wee mentalist". a crowd  had gathered and wanted more, so Ambitious card followed, then Card in Hand, then  Direct mind reading, then finding a selected card that had been cut into the deck with muscle movements, and finally I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E. The crowd went wild, and some people kept making a point of the fact it was all done with ONE DECK.  A young boy wanted to learn magic and when I mentioned Mark Wilson's book  he went on line and bought it there and then with his phone (i didn't know 10 year olds could do that). It felt good, I felt energised by the crown even though my body was dying on me. I collapsed in a chair and just chatted. I explained about my work with the free festival and told them of my electric motor made out of a match box.  They seemed interested, and so I should them a video on my phone. The next thing I know I'm being told of a man who makes and sells electronics kits to schools, and how this person works in media and he thinks I could host a a show on using these kits, to be sold along the products. It's possible  nothing will come of this, how ever the mad science seemed to captivate everyone, so I think it's something worth pursuing.
So summing up
 I need less tricks than I think to captivate an audiance

People notice when I only use one deck and are impressed.

 Flourishes and random slights can be mixed in with effects to raise peoples opinion of me

Jazzing magic is fun

Mad science is a natural bed fellow of magic. It's something I should continue  to tinker with. IT's one of those things people seem to expect from a magician, or at least enhances their opinion of one.

My natural personality works well with my magic, i don't need a fake one or an exaggerated persona, I just need to find the right mood.

More impromptu magic (both card and non card) would be good

1 comment: