Friday, January 4, 2013

varied stuff in the wild

Just got back from a music mash up night. As ever for one of Colchester's alternative music nights there were magicians  a plenty. the whole of "Nothing up our sleeves" were there. we spoke f an up coming free gig we're doing for a local charity, our wedding fair event and the show, in particular, when the next one will be. We also spoke of the Magic Circle interview, and what we would do. I decided to try out some previously ignored material on a magic loving audience, who were also logically minded and sharp watchers.

Twilight Angels was my opener though, I'd admit. And it went down VERY well, freaking out a neuro scientist (the hardest audience in the world) . I also  spoke to some people I performed Twilight Angels on last week and they were still baffled and blown away by the effect. it's a strong bit of magic, if it works for the distances involved in the audition. I may use it.

I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E the 15 card impromptu card vanish and mind reading effect also got an outing. Blowing away old audience and the new mind manglers as well. I did it twice for the audience, normally a n no BUT I added time misdirection (by getting Darren to perform an effect in between showings.  The reveal on this is very strong, AND different people were impressed by different aspects. For some it's the fact I knew the chosen card, for others it's the way it disappears and reappears.  So much like "Wee Wee Mentalist" it can be used to work out which form of magic people enjoy.

Four Sight Totally blew away a poker player. I keep neglecting my gambling effects, this is a huge mistake, they are strong and relevant. I guess the message really is tailor the magic to the audience, and knowing a few extra tricks and being confident with your entire rutine lets you do this

One quick note, a girl spotted my Erdenase!, I quickly did the same effect with a Houdini change. she's now convinced that I let her see the method first time to through  off the track of how it's really done. So again knowing more than one method was a life saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment