Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Interesting Exercise

I've decided that if I am going to whittle away at my life watching telly at night the least I can do is have a deck of cards in my hand and practise some slights. A friend of mine once said that 10,000 hours is the golden number for hours of practise to be truly professional. That's a LOT of practise if you're unable to work at something full time (ie, 9-5). However an hour or two at night has o help a little right? I've been struggling with my double lift for a while now and thought I'd try it with a fresh clean deck. Managed it smoothly first time and continued to perform it well for a full hour. Afterwards I got out two other decks, one over a year old another around 6 months, but all Bicycle Poker decks (blue if it matters).
It is tempting to practice on my ancient deck with he belief that if I can perform the slight smoothly on that deck I should be performing it amazingly well on a fresh deck. My concern is that maybe I'd find a new deck too smooth and may, for example, perform a triple lift by accident, or spray cards when attempting a dribble because the deck is so much smoother than I'd become used to. Therefore I've decided to try each slight and effect with all thee decks. If I find this doesn't cause any confusion with my performing a slight I'll keep this up, if however I find I get confused and unable to perform on all decks I'll stick to the new decks. After all finding a deck that's the exact age and condition of an old deck is much harder than mail ordering a case of new decks. It could be a nice touch to open a deck at a gig, perform a few tricks and then give the deck to someone to keep. (if you by a 'brick' of cards they work out at less than two quid a deck).

No comments:

Post a Comment