Wednesday, May 12, 2010

too much card Magic?

I was visiting a good friend last night and we spent a few minutes magic geeking. I pulled out my nice organised case with trick decks, regular decks and a spider ITR, and he pulled out his boxes of packet tricks and other effects. As I've said before the trick decks give a nice amount of 'filler' effects,. Nice effects that are sometimes quite artful, but the one off effects my friend have are truly mind blowing. Difference is his tricks produce ONE effect, whilst a trick deck has many uses. So trick decks for a lot of a routine but these effects make fantastic grand finale's.
All this got me thinking though. All I have really is a ITR, cards and a thumb tip that's too tight. I need to spread out more and try other close up effects, and maybe even something more suitable for a small stage. Coin magic has a huge appeal as if you pull out a pack of cards at a party you instantly look a little suspicious, but people always have coins to play with. I've been put off coin work in the past because my hands are too large for it, but it may be time to revisit it, along with other classic close up effects involving rope, silks and small trinkets.

2 comments:

  1. I feel ashamed to say I have very few tricks that I'm happy to perform in front of people..... I just aim to be good at those before I'll tackle anything new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing shaming about that dude. You've actually gone out there and performed close up magic in the real world. not only that you were on the frikkin Bill, advertised as such. For close up work you only need a handful of tricks. You just have to perform them very well, which you do. As I said last night, I know what to look for but still couldn't see it! Hand on heart mate you piddled over a pair of garden party magicians I saw at a mayor function.

    ReplyDelete