Wednesday, April 18, 2012

being that guy I wanted to be.

Just gotten back from the Hospital for a routine appointment.  I was asked the simple question of "Occupation?"  I replied with some pride "Magician".  The nurse smiled and the appointment continued, she then had to refer to a collogue and came back in saying how excited she was to be able to say she had a magician in the room and how difficult it was for her to not ask to see "something".  As she said this she dropped an elastic band on the table. I picked it up and launched into a few routines from the Touch DVD by Hanson Chien. She was ACTUALLY breath-taken. she actuality asked to keep the band as a memento. This was heart warming. Has it happens I was reading Derren Brown's "Absolute  Magic"  in the waiting room and tried to incorporate some of his ideas into the routines to give them more impact.

  A pleasant enough story. But long before I started to study magic I wanted to be able to pick up a common, everyday item and do something wonderful with it. Without bluster, without 'patter' without gimmicks and gizmo's even without cards. I can't describe how it felt to be able to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment