Monday, April 2, 2012

VERY large party of VERY young kids

So far I've performed for 9 year olds (11 in one go) and 12 year olds (4 of them). Todays gig was for 30 kids all aged 5! I was worried they would be too young for the bulk of my card work so knew I would be relying on the following.

Cup and Balls
Crystal Silk tube
Shrinking silk and silk in sock
Magic colouring book
Colour changing silks.
Once Upon a Time

I also decided to make one of my new effects Kid Friendly.  The Four Card Trick uses a LOT of Elmsley counts and involves hiding a regular card in amongst some blank cards. I knew from "Seriously Silly" that the kids would be too young to know any of the regular playing cards, therefore I got an extra blank card and drew a stick-man on it.

I also planned to hit them with the shower of balloons at the end.

The show kicked of well with a colouring book routine based on the one in "Seriously Silly". The kids responded very well, although were a little shy about screaming out magic words at the start. I then moved onto the "Shrinking Silk" effect, followed by the crystal tube.

I decided to finish on the cup and balls and give the kids a break and a chance to eat, they were very well behaved and loved being able to use the 'wand' (bubble sword).

Around the dinner tables I did some close up mainly my elastic band repertoire and the colour changing silks (letting the kids pull the colours through themselves, giving them the feeling of having some control)

After  dinner the dad fancied running some games. during this time some kids felt left out (either they were eliminated or just not into  the game) so DEAN TO THE RESCUE. Out came my newly prepared packet trick. The kids loved the stick man version of the four card trick, and the parents watching were amazed.

After these games I was asked to so more magic, I pulled out "Once Upon a time" but there was just too many kids, so instead I switched to balloons. I made the poodle for the birthday boy, making a few mistakes on purpose (over inflating and popping the balloons, inflating too hard and setting the balloon flying off etc) before the rubbish bags filled of poodles, mayhem ensued.

I was worried the grown ups were not 'INTO' it, but I found out they really enjoyed the show as they had asked the Dad for my businesses cards.

So what have I learnt.

My ability to control kids extends to large groups of young kids.

I need a few more props for my younger kids show to make it last a little longer

I need more balloon models

I need to be prepared for losing £10 worth of balloons at the big gigs 

Keep once upon a time for smaller groups

Even when I'm worried about how it's going people seem to be impressed

NEVER do grown-up magic afterwards, I tried a simple ambitious card and almost ruined it because I was too shattered to do a double lift.

Make sure the parent know the magic wand gift is for their kid and they don't have to give it back afterwards.






No comments:

Post a Comment