Sunday, December 30, 2012

Going back to my roots.

Well the show is over (and I'm still having people come up to me in the street raving about how good it was). My latest final weding dress is finished (i can quite making wedding dresses any time I want, honest, I'm not addicted or anything). Now I can concentrate on close up magic. I only have one gig booked so far for this year, but have a few leads and so am not too worried. In the coming months my only concerns are a wedding fare where myself, Darren and H will pimp ourselves as magicians for hire, and the Magic Circle audition. Whilst I loved doing the show I know that close up magic is where I'll be making the bulk of my living from. Preparing for the show helped my over all magical development and will certainly make me a better magician, but now I can focus on the magic that will become my livelihood.

  In the last month I've had a few opportunity to try out my repertoire. A bar in a far off town whilst waiting for Inge and at our local goth night. At the strange bar I was just organizing my magic case when the barmaid asked to see some tricks. A quick ambitouse card and wee wee mentalist later and she wanted a business card for her boss and 3 guys by the bar wanted cards for wedding etc.  I don't know if these leads will go anywhere but it was nice to wow people and a good confidence booster.

At Electr[o]crasy I ended up returning to my magical roots, I initially by chance but then by design. I went loaded with "Twilight Angels", "Wee Wee mentalist" and a deck prepped for gambling tricks.  Now when people asked how I got into magic the answer s a little muddled. Why is simpler. The how, well I started with a Svengali deck and a deck with a picture back so I could perform simple mentalism. I then  read "Absolute Magic" by Derren Brown. I was about 8 years away from a double lift but I learnt to use the tools I had and invoke genuine wonder using the philosophy in "Absolute Magic". I guess I've been concerned with the "how" of an effect latly instead of working on my presentation. I put Wee Wee away and just used Twilight Angels to begin with. Then the bar maid wanted to see some magic and even learn some. I was going to teach her a very simple  key card effect. I held her hand and run it over a spread out face up deck, pretending to divine her card by reading her muscle movements. She freaked out! this was too powerfull to give away.

So my plan is this. Rest at the end of the week, re-read absolute magic and look at the effects I know.  Then work on what I THINK makes a magician a magician the week after.

Basic vanishing abilities (look at  my impromptu magic DVDs)
Presentation  abilities (The Show Doctor, Absolute magic, Scripiting magic)
Impromptu card magic (Impromptu Card magic DVD)
Non card magic (sponge ball, cup and ball, rope).

After this time I hope to start forming a plan for  my magic circle audition.
watch this space :)

No comments:

Post a Comment