Monday, December 3, 2012

Magic Circle Interview

Last Monday I took a day off from getting ready for the show and headed into London. IT was time for my interview to join The Magic Circle.  Having the show to worry about meant I was pretty calm about the interview (I had bigger concerns in my head) but I was still determined to  do a good job. Normally when I take a trip to London I spend all day wondering Camden or the museums. However I didn't want to risk thrashing my body so close to show day soi I opted to just head straight to The Circle. I arrived 2 hours early and settled in to a pub around the corner. I spent some of the time going over lines for the show and some of the time running through the tricks I would show at my interview.

I popped along to MCHQ (magic Circle Head Quarters) a little early and was surprised to find the door open. I assumed that because the public events started at 7.30 that the club nights also started at 7.30. But no, it's open from before five with free tea and coffee until 5.30. Just as I got myself a cup of tea and started to gather my thought Chris Woods came in. Chris has been at the Circle every time we've been to a show. He's always friendly and always helpful. He sat down and just said "well young man, lets session". I find it hard to explain the feelings I had of being so readily accepted . I sat down and showed him "Wee Wee Mentalist".  Now I'm rather proud of my take on this effect and was surprised that Michael Vincent thought it was merely "good" when he saw it. Chris seamed to have the same verdict. I followed up with "twilight Angels" and this is where I was surprised. He seemed blown away by it!. I like Twilight Angels but  didn't think it was THAT powerful, at least when I did it. however Chris seamed to think quite the reverse, he saw the effect on you tube and didn't think much of it, but found it very powerful in my hands. Which I suppose just goes to show we don't know our own strengths and weaknesses.

My interview was more of a questionnaire than an interview.  Interesting questions included who my idols were, why I wanted to join the magic circle and where do I see myself in magic in a few years time. A little disappointed that I was asked HOW i got into magic and not WHY (I did ask for clarification saying the WHY was better-I did have a little speech on that subject for the show-)

I was deemed "Competent"  and given a date for my exam/audition. Now the work begins. I need magic that will impress magicians. My original idea of using the stick man motive was given a warm reception, but the idea of a card trick being a 2 dimensional cabinet illusion was a little too complicated for the magicians I spoke to. The evening was rounded off with a lecture by David Roth, a master coin Magician. Decided his work is worth exploring as he has some very good non gaff methods (gaff coins being expensive and hard to find in UK denominations) or and cake from Fae Presto!





No comments:

Post a Comment