Friday, March 22, 2013

A kids gig with a difference

I meet all sorts of people in Colchester. Sometimes through art events, or the day job in Fabric8, or at the random strange little things I like to go to to show support, such as a picnic in a secret part of the park.  As a result I became know to the local Home School group. Many of the kids have an interest in magic, and one of the groups leaders asked me to put on a magic show. The  idea was to show a little magic and then teach some magic. I didn't want to give away any of the deep dark secrets of the art though. I decided to split the groups into two halves. Older kids would be shown some science magic and then taut 3 card tricks you can find in ANY library. No slights, total self working tricks. The younger kids would get longer show of kids magic and then tautt my own version of the miser dream. It's based on a method on a kids TV show, so I don't think I've given anything away then. As well as teaching them the trick I turned it into a science and engineering lesson by getting them to try different methods of constructing the props.

This worked very well. I was happy with my performance  even without taking into consideration how bad my ankle is. I was not quite as slick with the props as I would have liked, but the routines worked together and made sense. With a little more practise, and some thought given to additional props I think my kids set can become something fantastic. One note, I need to have compartments in my magic box custom built for each prop, and a list of  each prop to check in and out.
I was warned about two kids who were good magicians. The parents worried they'd take over. I arranged to meet them both first and explain the code of the brother hood, explaining they needed to be patient and help me out, which they both did. One  lad was 15 and had a good grasp of magic. I'd say his abilities of actual slights was about the same as mine in fact, he just needs some encouragement and patience in the delivery of material. A 9 year old  blew me away. Typically of younger kids he had a LOT of flourishes, BUT he also had some amazing slights. This kid can do a pass! I did my Erdnase which is always well received, he then did a blink change.

Both kids liked my magic and my flourishes and sleights. Where both kids need work is actually routining the magic, the younger boy can do impressive stuff, but can't link it together, YET, he's 9! byt the time he's 11 I predict he'll be on tv. A while back I would have felt fooling demonstrating magic infront of these two. BUT I know performing is more than slights. That said, I'm going to sit down on Monday, after my next gig, and work on MORE colour changes, and maybe a pass. Slickness is impressive, BUT not essential. But as Maskyline, Devant and I all agree, "good enough isn't good enough".

I've still not heard from the Circle, I suspect I didn't get in. IT sucks but I wont give up, I just plan to hit the books even harder and to improve mightily every week now.

No comments:

Post a Comment