Friday, March 22, 2013

An incident on the bus.


This week was a sociable week, not great with a damaged ankle, but fun. On Monday and Tuesday I rested and read some of "Strong magic" by Darwin Ortiz, as recommended to me by Chris Wood. It's a captivating read with some very powerfull points, more will be written on this at a later date.

On the Wednesday I was preparing for a long day. The morning was to be taken up by a photo shoot for a gig in April. The afternoon  would be spent by watching Poi and juggling before hitting the beer festival in the castle. The photo shoot didn't happen, but Darren and I may have a possible gig at a posh restaurant where went for breakfast. 

On the bus into town for the afternoon I was working through some flourishes and slights listening to the above music. A lady came on the bus with two kids and a pram, Smartly dressed, oriental speaking Mandarin if I had to guess.  I decided to  perform some impromptu magic, to the music only I could hear. A card spring, a fan, noting the queen of hearts and spades, two one handed cuts bring both to the top, a double turn over, and Erdnase, a double turn over, the queens, moving through the deck, losing each other, finding each other, changing into each other. The kids as it turned out spoke English very well, I kept hearing "cool", "Awesome" "it's Real magic", "I've never seen a real magician". It made me realise the importance of what we do, a simple bit of fun will now stay with these girls all their lives, the day they walked onto a bus like normal and suddenly saw the impossible. It felt good. We entertain, we baffle and confuse maybe, but once in a while we enchant, and let people glimpse a world they normally can not see. And for this we can never think of our art of magic as trivial.

No comments:

Post a Comment