Sunday, March 17, 2013

Gig night

Still no word on the Magic Circle. It's been 5 weeks now so we have no idea what's holding things up. In this time I've redecorated my studio and shaped it into the arcane study I've craved.  I've also come up with a new filing system for organizing magic effects. I've also been thinking more about if I fail to get into the Circle. The big danger is a feeling of uselessness. Gigging is the natural solution to this. Whilst many Magic Circle members of gone to great lengths to tell me and Darren that we deserve to be in and we're good enough, you can't beat a moment of wonder in participants eyes to make you feel like a magician.

This gig was  quite different form any other. Darren and I would be performing alongside other members of the Mid Essex Magical society. We would be assigned a table and  were told to perform for 12 minutes.  So much like the Magic Circle audition I would have to have an element of structure. Normally when I gig I feel like a mercenary of magic, I didn't have to answer to anyone or do things in a set way, I just got the job done as I saw fit. This was more like being in the army. I had to be regimented. To help with this I designed a new filing systemf or my card magic so I could see what effect followed another effect. The esult of this was a stacked deck primed for many effects

Panic! (the deck vanish)
Wee Wee Mentalist
Twilight Angels
Do as I Do
Out of the world
I was then able t go to
Dierect Mind Reading - IMPOSSIBLE or Ambitious card  or any other impromptu effect.

I also had an invisible deck on me.

I got as far as Direct Mind Reading before running out of time.
Overall every effect was received well, and whilst this isn't my preferred performance situation I'd do it again. However next week I'm back to my favourite style of magic, intimate close up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment