Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Confessions of a Conjurer

After an ill advised attempt of dish washing I've thrown my back out. I had already booked today off work in an attempt to catch up on rest and then sort out one or two niggles in my life and maybe even a quick visit home to see the family. I'm now stuck flat on my back apart from brief moments of self imposed physio therapy (also known as tea making). This means I'll finally finish Derren Brown's latest work "Confessions of a Conjurer". This book is aimed at the laymen and doesn't''t reveal much in the way of magical method. Well maybe not physical method, but ethos and psychological handling is mentioned. IT is about 300 pages of rambling stream of consciousness. Initially it is set in the restaurant he first performed close up magic in, but takes a complete tangent every half a page. I'm currently on page 150 and he's JUST started performing a trick for a table. His description of his first approach to a table was perfect, and summed up my first ever approach to a pack of drinkers in a bar. Fortunately I still managed to get out and perform last Friday and Saturday morning at work. Oil and Water went down very well. I performed it for about 15 people in all, and only one noticed where something 'fishy' may have occurred. However much like Derren Brown himself says, the trick lacks reason, it lacks plot. it is purly showing off card manipulation there is no other explanation unlike other tricks where people can believe it was an example of mind twisting spiritual interference or just actual magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment