Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gliding Away

I had meant to spend time this week working on the "Elmsley Count". However whilst reaching the slight in my now expanding Library I realised I was missing a wealth of effects by not working on "The Glide". This is one of the simplest slights, but it can be used to great effect it seams/ I am rapidly forming the opinion that you don't get points for being over complicated. Participants are impressed by smoothness and easy handling. That is not to say that complex slights are not to be ignores, merely that easier and more reliable slights can afford some wonderful reactions when you may not be up to performing something complex.

Oil and Water From Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Effect. The spectator is shown 6 cards, three black and three red, (ace, two and three in red, four five and six in black) they are shown alternating red black red black red and black but the numbers appear random. The magician shows the bottom card and draws it, placing the card on the top of the deck. this is repeated several times. The magician then hands the pack over to the spectator who then fans the deck to reveal the cards have separated into two halves, red and black, and are now in numeric order.

Reaction Amazingly positive. There is a certain subtle misdirection involved, and I have tweaked the presentation from the book slightly. However all in all this is a very simple method of performing a classic of magic. I Have managed a very clumsy attempt of the Guy Hollingworth version of this trick. Once I can perform it smoothly I shall try each version against each other.

More Card Cheating from Daryl. Well Daryl showed how to control four cards with the "The Glide" I simply used 4 aces and turned it into another " Magicians cheat at cards" again. This time the spectator can say "Stop" when they want me to draw a card into my hand and I still show 4 aces.

Reaction Yet to be used in the wild.


No comments:

Post a Comment