Thursday, March 10, 2011

a most productive day

This has possibly been one of my best days in the field of magic. Let me start by expalining a flaw in the personalty of my younger self. I loves to plan, to research, to look for inspiration, but often left the actual DOING out, or at least until i t was very close to deadlines. I got out of the habit -mostly- and possibly went a little too far the other way. I sometimes feel bad 'just' reading a book on magical theory, or on organisation, or just arranging a line up of effects or researching character.
I've been reading Eugene Burger's "Secrets and Mysteries for the Close Up Entertainer" and was pleasantly surprised at how much of this great guys philosophy meshed with my own. I've often felt like a fraud because i only know around 20 effects. This guy went to work with 6 effects, but they were AWESOME. Each effects was remarked on as 'Closers' by other magicians. I already decided I wanted to cut the wheat from the chaff with regards to my repertoire . Here he makes a distinction between knowledge base, effects one may know and repertoire, effects one performs. This it was that I spent a wonderful day going through the gambling section of effects with my index cards (have I spoken about them already?) working out the best order of effects and deciding which ones should remain. Now I probably should have had a gambling film on in the background (the Sting, or maybe Maverick) BUt i really needed to watch the Tim Burton Alice, and thus I've also been thinking more about tie-in in my performing style with the gambling effects and the mad hatter styled persona. A very fun and enjoyable day working on my craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment